- 2 x Full-time, fixed-term position
- An opportunity to work with an industry-leading clinical/research trials team
- Base salary $55K – $65K + superannuation
As an industry leader in the field of neuroimaging analysis, SNAC was established at the Brain Mind Centre to take advantage of unique research capacity in the field and provide a state of the art commercial facility for the quantitative analysis of MRI to the pharmaceutical and other industries since 2012. Together with a dedicated MS clinic, MS Clinical Trials Centre, and MRI unit, SNAC is co-located within the Brain & Mind Centre at the University of Sydney. SNAC offers a unique combination of in-house neuroscience, imaging science, clinical trial, neurology and radiology expertise; and specialises in building novel neuroimaging biomarkers and integrating these into Phase 2-4 clinical trials for the pharmaceutical industry.
About the Role
The recent Interdisciplinary collaboration between the University of Sydney, SNAC and I-MED will build a new hybrid learning system to look deep within the brain for disease biomarkers. These biomarkers, which signify progression of the disease beyond clinical presentation, make early diagnosis and intervention possible and will change the course of MS for people diagnosed with the disease. The project will establish a unique central-federated AI learning environment, yielding algorithms that, validated in a clinical neurology environment, will set a benchmark in diagnostic MS imaging; track subclinical progression of the disease; direct therapeutic strategy; and untapped quantitative imaging data. The collaboration is centred on industry-led innovation within the government science and research priority of HEALTH and aligns with the Medical Technologies and Pharmaceuticals growth sector.
These Neuroimaging Analyst roles provide technical and operational support to TRANSCEND project (Translating AI Networks to Support Clinical Excellence in Neuro Diseases). This includes the implementation of existing MRI analysis techniques, protocols and standard operating procedures in place within the group and within BMC Computational Neuroscience research teams. Specific responsibility for the implementation of imaging pipelines for collaborative MRI-based projects that monitor brain health in patients with vascular disease and multiple sclerosis will form a key function of this position. The incumbent will be expected to coordinate the activities associated with these research projects, and work towards ensuring that imaging pipelines and analyses run smoothly and efficiently. This may also include responsibility for facilitating effective collaboration and teamwork with SNAC team and the BMC Computational Neuroscience Group, and stakeholders across the University.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Specific Image Analysis Accountabilities.
- Manage imaging data according to established Sydney Neuroimaging Analysis Centre SOPs.
- Perform all analyses required for imaging projects – maintain data and record keeping as per relevant SOPs.
- Ensure confidentiality and security of all research databases and related clinical trials information.
- Supports the design of research work being undertaken in the work area.
- Assists with the design, development and documentation of suitable imaging and other research protocols.
- Provides research administrative support for the work area.
- Ensures that ethics guidelines, standards and WHS requirements are met in the work area.
- Ensures subject confidentiality requirements met.
- Undertakes appropriate research procedures in accordance with relevant ethics protocols.
- Ensures that the appropriate ethics applications are lodged in collaboration with SNAC management and/or Senior Academics at the BMC.
- Prepares and ensures timely and accurate submission of all necessary documents.
- Ensures workplace health and safety regulations and operating procedures are adhered to within the research work environment.
- Undertakes ad-hoc projects and other activities.
- Performs work activities relevant to the role’s key accountabilities as approved by the Manager.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Tertiary qualifications in appropriate discipline and relevant experience in related field.
- Demonstrated experience in MRI analysis in neuroimaging.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with sound negotiating and conflict resolution skills and a demonstrated level of tact and discretion in dealing with day to day operational matters.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, taking initiative and exercising sound judgement in resolving matters that may arise as part of normal daily work.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to use initiative and exercise sound judgement and the ability to prioritise workload during a busy period.
- Experience in a research-intensive environment.
- Working understanding of relevant aspects of the Work Health and Safety Policy and relevant legislation, including Safe Laboratory Practices, as applicable to the work environment.
- Most importantly attention to detail and sustained focus.
- Specialty knowledge and previous experience in the application of structural MRI techniques specific to neurological diseases.
- Knowledge of and previous experience in neuroanatomy, clinical and research MRI techniques.
SNAC is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion.
We will be reviewing applications as we receive them, however, due to the volume of the applications, please be informed that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the closing date.